A man in Australia who was trapped in a sand paper bag for more than three hours died Thursday after his rescue by two members of the public, authorities said.
Authorities at the town of Coquitlam, B.C., said David Williams, 61, died after suffering from hypothermia and had been transported to hospital.
Williams, who was from Coquitla, was found by two people with a backpack on Friday afternoon.
His body was sent to the hospital in B.M. for an autopsy.
“The two men, who were volunteers with the local Emergency Services Agency, were able to revive him with CPR and he passed away Thursday morning,” B.F. Ambulance Service spokesman Mark Gormley said in a statement.
Williams had been trapped in the sand paper for about an hour after it had become wet in the rain, and his friends were able help him into the back of their pickup truck.
Gormley did not say how long Williams was trapped or what type of material he was wearing.
The search for the man and the rescue were hampered by bad weather and the cold weather that rolled in.
Williams was found lying in the middle of the road, surrounded by the sand, Gormly said.
He had suffered from hypothyroidism, the disease that can cause hypothermic shock.
The B.T.S. said he had been on life support.